Come to learn about Tijuana maquiladora workers' conditions and struggles!
Saturday, March 18, 2017, 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
U.S. citizens entering Mexico via Tijuana and returning from Mexico to San Diego should carry a U.S. passport.
All tour participants must read the US travel alert to Mexico and sign the tour waiver. Please read the Tour Travel Alert and Waiver.
SCHEDULE (there may be slight variations from tour to tour)
- • 8:30 am sharp- San Ysidro. Additional information about the meeting place will be provided.
• 9:00 am- Group arrives in Tijuana. Border line to enter Tijuana takes about 30 mins.
• 9:15 am- The crosses at the border: More than 7,000 immigrants have died trying to cross the border since 1994, when NAFTA was imposed.
• 9:30 am- Otay Industrial Park, Sanyo and other maquiladoras: workers’ labor conditions, labor rights and struggles.
- NOTE: We will visit the Tijuana industrial area but won’t enter any factory.
• 11:15 am- Rio Alamar, or how maquiladoras, distorted urban development and wild industrialization define Tijuana
• 12:00 pm- Foxconn: the largest maquiladora in both Tijuana and the world
• 12:45 pm- Lunch
• 1:15 pm:- Group dialogue about the experience; time for questions and comments
• 2:00 pm- Working women in Tijuana are organizing artisan cooperatives and promoting an alternative economy. They will bring their handcrafts to the tour. To learn in advance about these cooperatives, please go to Cooperativa Ollin Calli.
• 3:00 pm- Return to the bus station
- To see a printable version of this information, click
- $30 regular, $20 students, $50 solidarity (optional),
- Donations cover the bus, lunch, and a donation to the workers' organizations.
Reservations for these tours can be made by clicking . Online registration will be disabled when the bus for that day is full, so make your reservations as soon as possible.
If you prefer to use the postal system, or for more information, please contact:
Herb Shore: firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 287-5535
- Sponsored by Colectivo OllinCalli Tijuana, San Diego Maquiladora Workers' Solidarity Network
Please print and sign the --- waiver form --- and bring it with you on the day of the tour.